Used mattress may seem a weird idea for many people. The thought of it alone is just scaring. It is always a good idea to own a new mattress but there are times when you cannot afford the cost. New mattresses can be expensive especially when you are going for a bigger and more comfortable one.
This where the idea of a used mattress comes in, trust me you can achieve equal comfort with a used mattress at a price far much lower than the new one. All what you have to do is ensure that the mattress is safe for use and free from any infection. So let’s see how you can go about it.
The best place to get a used mattress remains to be on the internet. There many people trying to sell off their old mattresses online at relatively low prices. This therefore makes your search pretty easy and straight forward.
All what you have to do is to get to one of the many online stores and pick on your best choice. This is possible from any of the major online stores like Amazon or eBay. You simply need to know what make you would want to own so as to make your search easy. This saves you a lot of time since there are very many types of mattresses online.
What to look out for when buying a used mattress
Always give your mattress a closer look more especially if you are making an online purchase. This can be tricky and you therefore need to be extra careful so as to not end up with something that will not leave you in regrets.
One thing you have to keep in mind is that whoever is selling this mattress would want to look as good as possible. They can do anything to conceal its age so as to attract possible buyers. Oh we cannot blame them for this. This is exactly what any serious marketer would do so as to ensure their products sell. Just to note here are some of the tricks they use:
- They ensure that the mattress has a new loose cover. Out of interest it is good if you tried to identify the condition of the used mattress without the cover up.
- Try to identify any visible stains on the mattress. I guess you would never want to have a permanently stained mattress on your bed. No not especially if you have just bought it.
- Cheap can be expensive. You should not be enticed by the low price tags on the used mattress. Instead focus more on the quality. Try to find out whether there is room for negotiation and also take note on the shipping prices.
How to Clean A Mattress
How do you ensure that your used mattress is safe for use after purchase?
After purchasing your used mattress do not be in a hurry to get it on your bed. It would be too sad if you ended up with a contagious disease like a skin disease or even bed bugs. You therefore need to give the used mattress a good and thorough wash. So you need to disinfect the used mattress, get rid of any stains and dust. Here are some useful tips to aid you through this:
- Start assessing the used mattress and identify the areas that need close attention e.g. the stained regions
- Unzip the mattress and remove any covers which can be cleaned. Then vacuum sack the used mattress from all sides. By doing this you get rid of any dust particles and general dirt
- Using a spray bottle and a soft bristled brush give the used mattress a wash. You can use distilled white vinegar as you washing fluid.
- Sundry the mattress for one hour and then spray the anti-bed burg spray.
- Spray the mattress with clean water and dry it before taking it to bed.
Why should you therefore go for a old mattress whereas there better and cheaper options. Getting a used mattress not only saves your money but assures you ultimate comfort!